The internet is an important tool for the people related to the online trade. Money transaction through the internet becomes more common among the business people. In this blog, we will discuss some important issues in the internet/online banking.
Cookies (Website Spy)
Online advertisement and banners appear in the websites based on the visitor browsing pattern. In the context of hacking, cookie plays an important role to acquire the visitor personal information and according to the information, the hackers move to the next step.
Visitors are forced or diverted to visit the malicious website by the information provided by the cookies.
Plug-ins are the software installed by the malicious website without the visitor’s knowledge to hijack their browsers. Web sites offering free software and porn sites could hijack the browser without the support of cookies.
Once the plug- ins installed into the browser then the hijackers completely control the system for their purpose.
Phishing Bank site
Hackers wait for the visitors to do some money transactions through the browser or they can get information from the browser history.
Phishing bank website is the next step for the hackers to steal username, password, and their mobile numbers.
The next move of the hackers is to control the mobile to steal one-time password sent by the bank during the bank transaction. The information collected through the previous step helps them to install a malicious app to steal the one time password.
This is the last step for the hackers and will be the lost step for the visitors to lose their money.
Points to avoid the hacking
- Don’t visit malicious / porn websites.
- Don’t install free software available on the internet. (The word ‘ free’ is not free, it may be used for acquires power / control over the user.)
- Clear the browser cookies frequently.
- Check the bank URL (Bank URL always start with HTTPS)
- If you find any anonymous activity during the internet banking, kindly intimate the bank about the transaction.
- Don’t install any mobile apps without app store / play store.
- Don’t use the third-party app stores to install the mobile apps.
- Install Anti-virus software to avoid malicious software and files.
- Check the software installed in the system.
Hackers are trained programmer and predict visitor activities to the websites. We should be vigilant during the bank transactions through the internet. The internet is a virtual world and crimes are more common and there is no one to give assurance to anyone that they are safe.